Though generally warm and mild throughout the year, most months in Waldorf, Maryland, include at least 8 rainy days, with an average of 41.9 inches of precipitation each year. During the summer when it is warm and muggy, rainy days with humidity can be ideal for mold growth and water damage to develop. A mold problem can grow within 24-48 hours so it is important to begin mold removal in Waldorf MD as soon as the mold issue is known.
Mold is a common problem in residential and commercial properties in Waldorf, Maryland, especially in the older homes with poor ventilation and compromised structure, but removing the mold you see is only part of the solution. Once you see mold then usually that means that the mold has already begun to grow, typically in unseen areas. Not only can mold be hazardous to your health, but it can cause major damage to your building structure so Mold Removal in Waldorf, Maryland must be done immediately to prevent further damage.
Exposure to dangerous mold types can cause a variety of unwanted health effects including:
- Allergic reactions
- Breathing issues
- Unpleasant, musty odors
- Discoloration of walls and other affected areas
- Structural Damage
- Health hazards to people and even pets
If you suspect or have discovered mold growth in your home or business, let the experts at Revive Restoration remove and remediate your mold problems and give your family or your employees the peace of mind they deserve.
What Causes Mold Growth?
Mold is a natural fungus that needs moisture to survive. Mold can grow on almost any surface in Waldorf, Maryland including behind cabinets, showers, wood, paper, carpet, or food. Mold reproduces by releasing spores throughout the air which, when left alone, can have hazardous health effects and cause damage to building structures.
Molds need three things to grow:
The sources of moisture that promote mold growth can be caused by anything from faulty plumbing, leaks in your roof, leaks in your basement, leaks in your crawl spaces, or damage sustained from the large amounts of rainfall and humidity in the area yearly.
The best way to prevent mold growth is by controlling moisture and removing any source that may promote growth. Building materials can also be damaged by direct contact with water or from elevated humidity (secondary damage) which is prevalent in Waldorf, Maryland.
The Most Common Types of Mold Found In Waldorf, Maryland homes and businesses
There are 3 general categories of mold: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxic. Allergenic molds are not likely to cause illness but can cause allergic reactions in those that are allergic to mold and trigger asthmatic reactions. Pathogenic molds can cause infections in those allergic to mold and those that are not allergic. This kind of mold is more dangerous to children and the elderly. Toxic molds are the most threatening because they produce mycotoxins, which are poisonous to humans.
An allergenic mold that has pathogenic and toxic species of severity. Toxic aspergillus produces aflatoxins, a carcinogen. The most common allergy symptom is lung inflammation, respiratory infection and asthma attacks.
Cladosporium can grow in warm and cool environments making carpet, upholstery, wood flooring, and cabinetry ideal places for it to grow. It is typically olive green or brown in color and has a suede-like texture and can cause breathing and respiratory difficulties as well as skin infections.
Stachybotrys Chartarum (Black Mold)
The most notoriously common type of mold is stachybotrys chartarum, or black mold. This toxic mold grows best in wet, humid conditions and can grow on wood, paper, and even cardboard. Its texture is slimy and is dark green or black in color. Exposure to this mold can cause chest tightness, fever, nose bleeds, and pulmonary bleeding in children and infants.
This allergenic mold flourishes in damp areas, like bathrooms. Alternaria is velvet textured with dark green or brown hairs and can cause allergic reactions such as asthma-like symptoms in the upper respiratory tract, nose, and mouth.
What to do if you suspect mold in Waldorf, Maryland
Since mold is a common problem in Waldorf, Maryland, having a professional Mold Removal Company on call can be one of the most important things you can do. Mold Removal in Waldorf, Maryland should always be handled by a licensed Mold Removal Company like the professionals at Revive Restoration, but what should you do if you suspect mold? Let’s take a look…
- Find and Repair the Root Source of the Mold Growth: The key to removing and remediating mold, regardless of color, is to identify and repair the root cause of the problem to prevent it from coming back. Revive Restoration can help you locate the cause – whether it’s a failing HVAC system, leaking pipes, crawlspaces, basements, or damaged roofs. A professional Mold Test and Mold Inspection performed by a licensed mold remediation contractor is always the best course of action if you suspect mold to address the issue.
- Determine the Type of Mold: Once the cause of the mold is found and repaired, the type of mold should be identified by a professional Mold Testing and Mold Inspection Company like Revive Restoration. There are 3 general categories of mold: allergenic, pathogenic, and toxic. Allergenic molds can cause allergic reactions and trigger asthmatic reactions. Pathogenic molds can cause infections in those allergic to mold and those that are not allergic. This kind of mold is typically more dangerous to children and the elderly. Toxic molds are the most threatening because they produce mycotoxins, which are poisonous to humans. Regardless of the type of mold you have, it’s imperative to address it right away to prevent health issues or building damage.
- Remove and Remediate the Mold: Once the professional Mold Testing has been done and the type of mold is identified, it’s time to remove and remediate the mold to prevent future growth and damage. If the mold cannot be cleaned up from the affected surfaces, then you must remove the damaged areas completely and remediate the mold. Sometimes this can mean a complete tear down of wood framing, flooring, sub flooring, siding, roofs, carpet, etc and sometimes it’s as easy as removing and replacing some drywall or cabinets. In either situation, Mold removal in Waldorf, Maryland should always be handled by licensed professionals with the right equipment and training.
The presence of Mold should never be taken lightly. Mold can affect your health and even the health of your pets and has been linked to many diseases and it should be removed immediately.
Revive Restoration removes mold by utilizing a time-proven system that is non-toxic, effective, and environmentally safe. Our System is one of the biggest differences between us and other Mold Remediation Companies. Our systems are safe and non toxic whereas other companies use chemicals that are either fungicides or biocides which, although effective in removing mold, are toxic to people.
Call Revive Restoration’s Waldorf, Maryland mold remediation team for expert mold testing, mold removal, and mold remediation for your home or business.
Immediate Action – We provide 24-hour property damage remediation services.
- Moisture Detection– The experts at Revive Restoration are able to discover unseen moisture in your home or business so we can stop the root cause and help prevent future mold issues.
- Insurance Accepted – Revive Restoration handles the insurance paperwork and deals directly with most insurance companies.
- Full Service – Every part of your mold removal needs are handled from mold testing, mold inspection, removing smells, and mold remediation.
Revive Restoration In Waldorf Maryland
Revive Restoration is South Maryland’s first choice for Water Damage and Mold Removal services. We specialize in both commercial and residential emergency water and mold damage restoration. Our team of experts is available 24/7 to help you in your time of need. We pride ourselves on offering the highest level of quality work. With a focus on personalized service, competitive rates, and customer satisfaction, we’re always striving to meet and exceed expectations.